MANILA, Philippines — Tropical Depression Vicky maintained its strength and is now traversing Monkayo, Davao de Oro, the weather state bureau said Friday afternoon.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said Vicky made landfall in the vicinity of Baganga, Davao Oriental at 2:00 p.m.
“It [Vicky] is forecast to move generally west-northwestward while over the landmass of Mindanao,” Pagasa said in its 5 p.m. severe weather bulletin.
Vicky is likely to emerge over the Bohol Sea by early Saturday morning, pass close Siquijor or Misamis Occidental, and pass close or make another landfall over the southern portion of Negros Island.
The tropical depression is likely to emerge over the Sulu Sea on Saturday morning or afternoon, Pagasa noted.
Vicky has maximum sustained winds of 45 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 75 km/h. It is moving west-northwestward at 15 km/h.
Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal(TCWS) 1 is hoisted up in the following areas:
- Northern and central portion of Palawan (Puerto Princesa City, Roxas, San Vicente, Dumaran, Araceli, Taytay, El Nido) including Calamian, Cuyo, and Cagayancillo Islands
- The southern portion of Leyte (Baybay City, Javier, Abuyog, Mahaplag, Inopacan, Hindang, Hilongos, Bato, Matalom, Palompon, Merida, Isabel)
- Southern Leyte
- central and southern portions of Cebu (Borbon, Tabuelan, Tuburan, Sogod, Catmon, Carmen, Asturias, Danao City, Compostela, Liloan, Consolacion, Mandaue City, Lapu-Lapu City, Cordoba, Balamban, Cebu City, Talisay City, Toledo City, Minglanilla, Naga City, Pinamungahan, San Fernando, Aloguinsan, Carcar, Barili, Sibonga, Dumanjug, Ronda, Alcantara, Moalboal, Argao, Dalaguete, Badian, Alegria, Alcoy, Boljoon, Oslob, Malabuyoc, Ginatilan, Samboan, Santander) including Camotes Islands
- Negros Oriental
- Negros Occidental
- central and southern portions of Iloilo (Ajuy, Barotac Viejo, San Enrique, San Rafael, Passi City, Bingawan, Calinog, Lambunao, Janiuay, Banate, Anilao, Dingle, Duenas, Badiangan, Barotac Nuevo, Zarraga, Pototan, Dumangas, Mina, New Lucena, Santa Barbara, Leganes, Iloilo City, Pavia, Cabatuan, Maasin, Alimodian, San Miguel, Leon, Oton, Tigbauan, Tubungan, Guimbal, Igbaras, Miagao, San Joaquin)
- southern portion of Antique (Valderrama, San Remigio, Sibalom, Hamtic, Tobias Fornier, Anini-Y, Bugasong, Laua-An, Patnongon, San Jose, Belison)
- Dinagat Islands
- Surigao del Norte
- Surigao del Sur
- Agusan del Norte
- Agusan del Sur
- Davao Oriental
- Davao del Norte
- Davao de Oro
- Davao City
- northern portion of Davao del Sur (Santa Cruz, Digos City, Bansalan, Magsaysay, Matanao, Hagonoy)
- Misamis Oriental
- Misamis Occidental
- Lanao del Norte
- Lanao del Sur
- Cotabato City
- North Cotabato
- Zamboanga del Sur
- Zamboanga Sibugay,
- Northern portion of Zamboanga del Norte (Baliguian, Gutalac, Kalawit, Labason, Tampilisan, Liloy, Salug, Bacungan, Godod, Sindangan, Siayan, Jose Dalman, Manukan, Sergio Osmena Sr., Pres. Manuel A. Roxas, Katipunan, Dipolog City, Polanco, Pinan, Mutia, La Libertad, Dapitan City, Sibutad, Rizal)
Pagasa said areas under TCWS#1 will have strong breeze to near gale conditions during the passage of the tropical cyclone.
Due to the combined effects of Vicky and the tail-end of a frontal system (Shear Line), Pagasa warned of moderate to heavy with at times intense rains over Caraga, Davao Oriental, Davao de Oro, Davao del Norte, Bukidnon, Misamis Oriental, Camiguin, Southern Leyte, Leyte, and Bohol. Light to moderate with at times heavy rains over Bicol Region, Mimaropa, Calabarzon, Lanao del Sur, Zamboanga del Norte, and the rest of Visayas, Davao Region, and Northern Mindanao.
Flooding and rain-induced landslides may occur during heavy or prolonged periods of rainfall, Pagasa said.