No time to lower guard vs virus
John Bryan Ulanday (The Philippine Star) – November 17, 2020 – 12:00am
Inside the bubble
SMART CLARK GIGA CITY, Pampanga, Philippines — With San Miguel’s exit yesterday, eight teams have officially bounced from the bubble after more than a month of stay here – leaving only four squads in contention for the historic 2020 Philippine Cup title.
But with still a month left, there’s no stepping on the breaks yet for the PBA in terms of implementing safety protocols to keep the bubble intact until December.
“Ganoon pa rin tayo. Kaya tayo nagiging safe dahil sa ginagawa nating protocols. Bakit natin babaguhin di ba? Bakit natin bubutasin eh successful so far?” commissioner Willie Marcial told The STAR.
“Laking pasasalamat na malapit-lapit na tayo. Ito na, nandito na tayo sa semi-finals. Sana dire-diretso na wala tayong hadlang para matapos ito,” he said.
* * *
Meralco waited for 10 years in franchise history to make its first Philippine Cup semifinals appearance, and coach Norman Black has chairman and big boss Manny V. Pangilinan to thank for owing to the latter’s patience and trust.
“This feels good for the company and myself as a coach. I’m just happy for the Meralco company and boss MVP (Pangilinan). I thank him for the patience he’s had with us and now, we’re starting to reap the benefits,” said Black.
Meralco hit two birds with one stone last Sunday after barging into the semis while ending San Miguel’s five-year All-Filipino Conference reign with an emphatic 90-68 win.