DOH reminds public on danger of leftover firecrackers still present in the communities; advises those wounded to have ATS

January 3, 2016 7:33 am 

By Leilani S. Junio

MANILA, Jan. 1 (PNA) — The Department of Health (DOH) reminded the public on Friday to ensure that firecrackers that did not ignite and explode during the New Year revelry but remained present in the communities be properly disposed of to avoid accidental injuries to innocent people.

In a press briefing held at the DOH main office in Manila, Health Secretary Janette L. Garin said that because of the rains that occurred during the New Year Eve's celebration, there was a possibility that some firecrackers which got wet and failed to ignite might be picked up by some children.

“Lalo na at umulan kagabi (before the New Year revelry), nais naming pakiusapan, lalo na ang mga bata, na huwag mamulot ng paputok na nagkalat sa kalsada,” Secretary Garin said.

She advised the public to ensure that such leftover firecrackers be gathered and turned over to the police or the barangay officials in the localities for proper disposal.

For his part, DOH Undersecretary Vicente Belizario Jr. said it is also important that those who have been wounded by firecrackers go to the hospital immediately to get the needed anti-tetanus shot (ATS).

“Kung ikaw ay nagkasugat nang dahil sa paputok, maliit man o malaki ang sugat na iyong nakuha, dapat pa rin itong lapatan ng tamang gamot. Ang tetano ay nakamamatay, at ito ay nakukuha sa sugat na nanggagaling mula sa paputok,” Dr. Belizario explained.

He added that the best thing to do is to go to the nearest health center and health facility so that the wound can be checked by the physician for administering ATS.

Tetanus may be caused by firecrackers because some fireworks are made up of soil and other dirty components.

When a firecracker is ignited and exploded, its residues that go to igniter's body parts, when wounded, may bring some bacteria that need to be cleansed and washed immediately with soap and running water.

Sometimes, there are cases that some firecrackers can cause burn injury on the portion of the skin or part of the body that is exposed to the firecracker, leading to an open wound.

Tetanus is caused by an infection with the “bacterium Clostridium tetani,” which is commonly found in soil, dust and manure.

The bacteria generally enter through a break in the skin such as a cut or puncture wound by a contaminated object.

They produce toxins that interfere with muscle contractions, resulting in the typical symptoms.

A patient inflicted with tetanus may experience high fever, excessive sweating, hand or foot spasms, irritability, swallowing difficulty, suffocation, heart attack, breathing problems, irregular heartbeat, and uncontrolled urination or defecation. (PNA)

SCS/LSJ

Comments

Comments are closed.