DOH-11 hopes to end 2015, start 2016 with zero firecracker injury

December 23, 2015 6:34 am 

By Lilian C. Mellejor

DAVAO CITY, Dec. 22 (PNA) — The regional office of the Department of Health (DOH) joined the nationwide official countdown and surveillance on firecracker-related injuries even if Davao region posted a low number of injuries during Christmas and New Year’s eve the past year.

Instead of firecrackers, DOH-11 Regional Director Abdullah Dumama encouraged the public to use alternative ways in celebrating Christmas and welcoming New Year. Dumama said people can use "torotot" and car horns or play loud music or other safe merry-making instruments.

Dumama said the ban on firecrackers should be pushed although there are already mayors in Davao region that have shown interest to join Davao City in the total ban of firecrackers.

“Hindi kailangan ang paputok. Dito lang sa atin meron mga ganitong nangyayari. Sa ibang bansa wala (We don’t need firecrackers. It is only here that we have these incidents. There is none in other countries),” he said.

Dumama said piccolo, triangle and watusi remain the top cause of injuries during Christmas and New Year revelries.

Last year, despite the continued warning of health officials on the use of firecrackers, DOH recorded 139 firecracker-related cases. Of the total number, 71 cases were recorded in Davao del Norte; 31 in Davao del Sur; 27 in Davao Oriental; eight in Compostela Valley and two in Davao City.

The records of the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) on firecracker-related incidents showed a decreasing number since 2001. In 1998, SMPC recorded 47 cases; 59 in 1999; 80 in 2000; two (2) in 2001; zero in 2002; three in 2003; two in 2004; two (two) in 2005; four (4) in 2006; two in 2007; zero in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2013; two (2) in 2011; and one (1) in 2014. It reported one case in 2012 but the patient came from Region 12.

Meanwhile, DOH will start its official count starting at midnight (12 a.m.) of Dec. 21 (Monday), and the recording of the number of firecracker-related injuries will be back to zero — meaning the previous count will not be included anymore.

DOH launched an "Anti-Paputok Campaign" in Tondo, Manila. DOH has also announced that "Code White Alert" is raised officially in all DOH hospitals, regional offices and facilities nationwide starting Monday.

"Code White Alert" puts all hospital personnel for deployment and augmentation as the need arises for medical and other services. (PNA)

LAP/LILIAN C. MELLEJOR/LDP

Comments

Comments are closed.