Governor leads 'topping' ceremony of NOPH’s Central Block Building

September 16, 2015 6:17 am 

DUMAGUETE CITY, Sept. 15 — The most awaited structure that will address the lack of hospital beds at the Negros Oriental Provincial Hospital (NOPH) is 51 percent complete with Governor Roel Degamo leading provincial officials, engineers and health personnel in the traditional topping activity held Tuesday as proof that the structure has already reached the fourth floor.

Target completion of the Central Block Building, which is constructed based on the standards of the Department of Health (DOH), is December 31, 2015 that will already assure the use of the first floor and even the second.

Provincial Engr. Franco Alpuerto disclosed that the super structure that includes the beams and the columns have been completed, minus the finishing touches to include piping, electrical, ceilings, windows, among others that comprise 49 percent of the remaining work to be done.

The central block building was the brainchild of the late Gov. Emilio Macias II, who was a doctor by profession, but when Gov. Roel Degamo assumed as OIC governor, he made a promise to continue good projects undertaken by his predecessor as he pushed for the sourcing of the funds needed for its completion, because this is what the public wants, especially indigent patients who also need to be afforded with the same services offered in private hospitals.

In fact, the governor wanted an automatic oxygen system installed in the central block building, aside from the emergency room, operating room, delivery room, pediatrics ward, surgical ward, OB ward with private and semi private rooms the rates of which are affordable to the ordinary people.

Board Member Erwin Michael Macias, the lone member of the Sangguiang Panlalawigan who made it to the topping activity, said this project is the baby of his late father and thanked Gov. Degamo for realizing the dream of the late governor and that of all Negrenses.

He recalled that even if the request of the governor for funding support hit a snag with the provincial board due to some technicalities, Degamo did not stop pushing for the project, until he was given the authority by the Sangguniang Panlalawigan to sign a loan package with the bank worth P350 million for a 210-bed capacity Central Block Building.

Board member Macias considers this a milestone in the life of the provincial government under the present leadership who is determined to make the dream of the late governor and Negrenses a reality.

Degamo was hoping for the release of the P100-million funding as promised by DOH for hospital equipment.

The governor was told it was already bid out, and that two operating tables have arrived but was again told the money went back to the general fund.

DOH Secretary Janet Garin who was in Negros Oriental last week, assured the governor that she will help facilitate the release of the money and all other funds for the upgrading of health facilities in the province. (PNA)

LAP/JFP/JUANCHO GALLARDE

Comments

Comments are closed.