2 more H7N9 cases in south China's Guangdong, one dies

February 3, 2015 3:38 am 

GUANGZHOU, Feb. 1 — The number of H7N9 human cases in south China's Guangdong Province reached 30 since the start of the year with two more cases reported, local health authorities said Saturday.

A 48-year-old man from Jieyang City died on Thursday and was later confirmed infected of the bird flu, the provincial health and family planning commission said in a statement.

Another nine-year-old girl from Shanwei City was confirmed infected on Friday. She is in stable condition after medical treatment, the statement said.

Health experts have warned that Guangdong, which borders Hong Kong, has entered the high-incidence period for bird flu, which usually crops up in winter and spring seasons.

A series of human infection reports and the belief that most cases come from exposure to infected poultry have led to the culling of thousands of chickens in Guangdong and Hong Kong last year.

Several cities in Guangdong have also taken measures to restrict live poultry trade to curb the spread of the disease, raising concerns about the impact on the industry.

In addition to Guangdong, Shanghai, Fujian, Jiangxi and Zhejiang in east china have all reported human cases of H7N9 this winter.

H7N9 is a bird flu strain first reported to have infected humans in March 2013. (PNA/Xinhua)

SCS/PJN

Comments

Comments are closed.