China travel ban not yet lifted – DFA

December 17, 2014 11:06 pm 

ILOILO CITY, Dec. 17 –- The china travel ban has not yet been lifted since it was issued last Sept. 12, Department of Foreign Affairs Asst. Sec. Charles C. Jose said.

Jose, who is here Wednesday for the Special Kapihan ng Mamayan on the West Philippine Sea Issue, clarified that the china travel ban to the Philippines has been issued because of the security threats and not really because of the ongoing territorial dispute the Chinese government has with the Philippines.

The China travel ban has caused Boracay, the premier tourism destination in Western Visayas, to lose immensely about Php 165 million during the initial days due to cancellations of hotel room bookings and airline flights by Chinese tourists.

He also thanked the Chinese Filipinos who are now residing particularly in Iloilo City for their support and understanding on the stance to defend and preserve what legitimately belongs to the Philippines government.

The DFA official confirmed here that China failed to submit its counter-memorial that has deadline set Dec. 15 at the United Nations-backed Arbitral Tribunal in The Hague, the Netherlands.

The Chinese government, in a media report, remains to be resolute in its decision not to accept nor participate in the so-called arbitration case unilaterally initiated by the Philippines.

Jose said that the arbitration case had been lodged by the Philippine government as one of the measures to get clarification on China’s Nine-Dash Line for if left unchallenged would gravely affect the Philippines sovereign rights.(PNA)

RMA/AJPETINGLAY/VLO

Comments

Comments are closed.