U.S. condemns bombing at Iranian envoy's residence in Yemen

December 4, 2014 12:12 pm 

WASHINGTON, Dec. 4 — The United States on Wednesday denounced a deadly bombing attack on the Iranian ambassador's residence in the Yemeni capital city, calling for a "thorough" investigation.

"The United States condemns the bombing at the Iranian ambassador's residence in Sanaa earlier this morning and expresses its condolences to the families of the victims," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said in a statement.

Three security guards, two Iranians and one Yemeni, were confirmed dead in the remotely-detonated car bomb explosion, while 17 others were sent to hospital, some in critical conditions.

Press reports said the house of the Iranian ambassador was seriously damaged, but the ambassador was not inside when the bomb went off.

"Attacks on diplomatic facilities and against diplomats contravene all international norms and can never be justified or excused," Harf said, urging the Yemeni authorities to open a " thorough" investigation and "bring the perpetrators to justice."

al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) has claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it detonated a car bomb when the Iranian ambassador left his residence Wednesday morning.

Iranian diplomats have been frequently targeted by militants in Yemen. In January, an Iranian diplomat was shot dead by unknown gunmen near the residence of the Iranian ambassador in Sanaa, while the Yemen-based AQAP still holds captive another Iranian diplomat who was kidnapped in July 2013.

The Obama administration has stepped up drone strikes on the AQAP, with a view to uprooting the group in Yemen's southern regions. (PNA/Xinhua)

FPV/JSD

Comments

Comments are closed.