MMDA chief to talk to Mayor Erap over Manila truck ban row

February 20, 2014 11:34 am 

MANILA, Feb. 19 — Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Francis Tolentino is set to personally meet with Mayor Joseph Estrada next week over the issue on the city government ordinance on truck ban

"I will be meeting him (Estrada) personally next week. We are coming out with a win-win solution acceptable to various concerned parties," Tolentino told reporters in an interview.

He said the Metro Manila Council (MMC), the policy-making body of the MMDA has already formed a committee to find possible solutions to the dispute.

However, Tolentino refused to give further details on the agency's "win-win" solution.

The new truck ban, which Manila is about to implement from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m starting Feb. 24, is strongly opposed by truckers and exporters as this might affect their operations.

The MMDA chief noted that various trucker groups have raised "valid" concerns and issues on Manila's new truck ban during the two-day traffic summit called by the agency last week.

The MMDA earlier said the city's new truck ban will worsen the traffic situation in Metro Manila.

Manila's move to implement a new traffic measure even resulted to a verbal tussle between Estrada and Quezon City Mayor Herbert Bautista, who is also the chairman of the MMC's Traffic Committee. (PNA)

FFC/CLTC

Comments

Comments are closed.