NDRRMC says report of fatalities comes from LGUs

November 12, 2013 10:33 pm 

MANILA, Nov. 12 — The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) on Tuesday said the low number of fatalities caused by super typhoon "Yolanda" is due to the release of local government units (LGUs) which confirmed the deaths.

"Yung figures natin ng casualty ay nanggaling sa local government units, yun ay inireport sa atin officially at yun ang kinukuha natin, kasi kapagk kinuwenta nating lahat yung inirereport on the ground baka magkaroon ng double or triple counting at sumobrang dami yung ating irereport, so we are only getting reports coming from local government units," said NDRRMC Executive Director Eduardo del Rosario in a chance interview by members of the media in Camp Aguinaldo.

As of Tuesday, Del Rosario said, the reported official casualties has reached 1,774, and not 10,000 as previously reported.

Asked on the report by the local government of Samar that some 2,000 persons are still missing, while the agency reported 82 people, he explained, "we are waiting for the report, kausap ko si Governor the other night, I was not informed by him by that time, most likely ngayon niya nareport 'yung na-recieve na report. I do not know kung san ang source but we are going to wait for the official claim from the local government as to the number of dead, injured and missing persons."

Del Rosario also said that the local government employees in Tacloban could not perform their task to help the public because they were also affected by the super typhoon.

As such, personnel from the central office of concerned government agencies such as the PNP, AFP, DILG, DSWD, DOH, were sent to Tacloban for the search, rescue and relief operations.

"Wala lang kakayahan ang local government units na magdeliver ng services dahil ang kanilang mga government workers at mga opisina nila pati communication line ay nagbaksakan at yung mga (local) government employees ay hindi makapagtrabaho kaya ang ginagawa natin ngayon nagpapadala tayo ng mga national govt employees," he said.

Del Rosario also said that some power lines and communications are already restored while the national highway in Tacloban is now passable.

"There were some power lines that were restored already as well national highways opened para magamit ng ating mga kababayan especially from Manila going to Tacloban and from Tacloban going to Southern Leyte. So open na yung national highway at nadadaanan na ngayon at naireport din na yung mga cellsites ng Globe and Smart ay nagpa-function na sa ibang lugar and more than 50 percent are now operational," said Del Rosario. (PNA)

LGI/CLTC/PFN

Comments

Comments are closed.