Cebu cops 90% ready for May 13 polls

April 18, 2013 10:19 pm 

CEBU CITY, April 18 — The Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO) is 90 percent ready in its security preparations for the May 13 elections, an official said.

CPPO Director Patrocinio Comendador said they are only waiting for the augmentation force from the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

He said they will prioritize 14 towns and three component cities that are considered as election watch list areas.

A history of election-related violence, intense partisan rivalry and presence of organized crime groups were among the reasons these areas are in the list.

Bogo City, Danao City and Dumanjug town are classified as “high” on the list, where electoral violence will most likely happen.

Barili, Compostela, Consolacion, Daanbantayan, Ginatilan, Medellin, Ronda, San Fernando, San Remigio, Sogod, Tabogon, Tabuelan, Toledo City and Tuburan are labeled as “moderate.”

Comendador said they will intensify police visibility during the election.

He said they will secure the transportation of election paraphernalia, polling precincts and canvassing areas.

As part of their security plan, special reaction teams will also be on-standby.

Comendador said they have established the Provincial Election Security Task Force, with him as head.

Supt. Glenn Ares, CPPO’s deputy provincial director for administration, will be the overall supervisor in northern Cebu while Supt. Renato Malazarte, CPPO’s deputy provincial director for operations, will oversee southern Cebu.

Comendador said the CPPO has so far arrested 161 individuals, confiscated 342 firearms and filed 153 cases from 221 operations they conducted in relation to the gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections. (PNA)

LAP/EB/BH

Comments

Comments are closed.