4,000 persons evacuated due to tropical storm ‘Marce’ -– NDRRMC

October 4, 2012 9:37 pm 

MANILA, Oct. 4 — The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) reported on Thursday that 4,000 persons in Muntinlupa City and in the provinces of Bataan and Zambales have evacuated their homes due to heavy rains spawned by tropical storm "Marce."

NDRRMC Executive Director Benito Ramos said a total of 4,000 persons were evacuated because of the floods but most of them have now returned to their homes.

He added that 2,000 were from Muntinlupa while the rest from Bataan and Zambales.

Ramos said the impact of Marce was minimal and did not cause fatalities and injuries as of Thursday afternoon.

He also cited the efforts of the local governments in immediately alerting their constituents about the bad weather.

“I admire the local authorities. There are no injured persons, fatalities and missing fishermen so far. They are now listening to the warnings,” Ramos said.

Meanwhile, the NDRRMC also reported that families near a river in Mindoro Occidental were preemptively evacuated from their homes after a dike partially collapsed.

The NDRRMC indicated five families or 25 people were evacuated from Barangay Martha in San Jose town to Yau-Yaui Elementary School in Barangay Martha in Occidental Mindoro.

The NDRRMC said the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council of San Jose and local village officials conducted the evacuation of the families living near the river.

Municipal social welfare officials provided relief goods to the evacuees, it added.

Ramos said the NDRRMC remains on red alert until “Marce” leaves the Philippine area of responsibility. A red alert places all disaster management personnel on standby.

Weather forecast remains that Marce is expected to exit the Philippine area of responsibility on Friday or Saturday heading towards Vietnam. (PNA)

LAM/CLTC

Comments

Comments are closed.