R-II Builders bags the North Port passenger terminal project

May 17, 2012 10:27 pm 

MANILA, May 17 –- The Manila North Harbour Port, Inc. (MNHPI) has contracted R-II Builders to build the state-of-the–art passenger terminal building with a 2,000 passenger capacity.

MNHPI chief operating officer Richard Barclay said North Harbor will have the most modern and the best PTB in the country.

R-II Builders is owned by businessman Reghis Romero. MNHPI is 65 percent owned by the Romero family through Harbour Centre Port Terminals Inc. while San Miguel Corp. owns the remaining 35 percent.

“There were five companies which submitted the bids, then it came down to two in terms of delivery and the price. We bid it out properly,” Barclay said.

The construction started immediately following the awarding of the contract at the end of March.

The PTB is being constructed on a 10,000 sqm land area inside the North port. The building alone costs about P170 million.

The PTB is designed by RR Payumo, a well-known and well- respected architect who was the proponent of the St. Luke's Medical Center at Global City.

The first phase of the passenger terminal with 1,000 passenger seating capacity will be completed by mid- December and the second phase with the same capacity will be launched by the middle of January 2013.

Barclay said: “What we’re doing in North Harbor is to make some physical presence so that the people will see the improvement.

"The Tondo area needs new facilities and buildings. This passenger terminal and the whole complex will be a good landmark for Tondo. It must have a very good security.” The 2,000 capacity PTB will be fully air-conditioned with modern facilities.

The Phase 1 development will be completed by the middle of December.

The second phase will be completed by the middle of January next year.

Barclay said there will be designated areas for taxis and buses inside the complex for the passengers.

There will also be an area outside the port for passengers taking the jeepneys, to ensure smooth traffic flow.

He said: “We want something that people when they come here, they can enjoy. They can greet people when they come. "They can sit down in the concessionaire area to take snacks. Those things that they cannot do now.”

MNHPI is looking at 800,000 passengers coming to the port this year, higher from last year’s actual count of 756,000 passengers.

Barclay said MNHPI has committed to invest a total of P14.5 billion to modernize North Port that includes the expansion of its operational area from 52 hectares to 70 hectares and improving the operational facilities inside the port. (PNA)

hbc/lgi/GVF/utb

Comments

Comments are closed.