FPIC asks MMDA to reopen south bound lane in Makati to ease traffic congestion

May 14, 2012 10:54 pm 

MANILA, May 14 — The Lopez-owned First Philippine Industrial Corp. (FPIC) on Monday said it will ask for the approval of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) in the re-opening of the south-bound lane of the Osmena Service Road in Makati City to ease the expected traffic congestion in the area once classes formally resumes next month.

FPIC Bangkal Remediation project manager Nardz Ablaza said the company had already completed repair works on the segment of its damaged pipeline along Barangay Bangkal, Makati along with the installation of the multi-phase extraction (MPE) system that would be used for the recovery and treatment of petroleum leakage from the pipeline.

“The MPE system, our remediation program for the ongoing cleanup in Barangay Bangkal, has been fully installed by our engineers under the Magallanes Interchange and it has been cleared to operate by the government agencies concerned,” Ablaza said.

Ablaza said the reopening would ease traffic congestion in the area.

He added that with this development, “there is really no reason for the Osmena Service Road to remain closed as the MPE system poses no obstacles to traffic and is fully safe to operate. Once it starts running, motorists and even pedestrians wouldn’t even notice it is there.”

According to the FPIC, the MPE system is housed in two, 40-foot container vans made in the United States under the Magallanes Interchange Ramp (south-bound) that are fitted with noise reduction paneling.

The Osmena Service Road runs parallel to the Magallanes Interchange and Osmena Highway (South Superhighway) where thousands of vehicles pass through everyday.

The road has been closed when FPIC started repair work on the pipeline leak that affected a portion of Barangay Bangkal and the nearby 22-storey West Tower Condominium in July 2010.

The leak was later traced to the FPIC underground pipeline running from the Pandacan oil depot to Batangas.

Earlier, the Department of Energy (DOE) has filed a manifestation before the Court of Appeals (CA) reiterating that the pipeline is already safe for operations after tests conducted last December indicated no more leaks in the pipeline.

The DOE said the reopening of the pipeline would reduce the number of tankers ferrying about 50 percent of petroleum products from oil refineries in Batangas to the oil depot in Manila’s Pandacan district, which would also ease traffic woes and lessen the number of accidents involving trucks in the past weeks.

The depot also supplies to 459 fuel dealers in Metro Manila and about 1,800 gas stations in Regions 1 to 4.

FPIC’s 117-kilometer pipeline carries petroleum products such as gasoline, diesel, kerosene and aviation fuel from refineries in Batangas to the oil terminal in Pandacan, Manila.

The FPIC pipeline started operations in 1969 and has been operating safely and normally, transporting about 60 percent of Metro Manila’s petroleum needs 24 hours a day. (PNA) RMA/CLTC

Comments

Comments are closed.