2 robbers killed in shootout with Taguig cops

January 27, 2012 10:54 pm 

By Christopher Lloyd T. Caliwan

MANILA, Jan. 27 — Two suspected robbers were killed in a shootout with policemen in Taguig City Friday morning, minutes after robbing and killing a "balikbayan" from Canada.

According to Chief Insp. Jenny Tecson, Public Information Office Chief of the Southern Police District (SPD), the two unidentified robbers shot it out with policemen who trailed them after robbing and fatally shooting Gerry Panodera, 48, along Purok 5, MLQ Ave. Lower Bicutan at about 8 a.m.

Tecson said Panodera was waiting for a jeepney ride in front of a gasoline station, after leaving shortly the house of one of his brothers, when the suspects suddenly approached him and announced the robbery-holdup.

Tecson said Panodera resisted, prompting the two armed men to shot him point blank, and then fled.

He said the suspects boarded a passing passenger jeepney towards Purok 6, Gen. Santos St., Lower Bicutan. Unknown to them, village watchmen had already alerted the police.

Caught in traffic, the robbers alighted from the jeepney and casually walked towards an alley unaware that two policemen were trailing them.

Sensing the pursuing policemen, the suspects scampered and when cornered shot it out with lawmen.

One of the gunmen fell dead in the alley in the ensuing firefight while his cohort was shot inside a nearby house where he tried to hide.

No means of identification were found in the suspects’ possession, according to Tecson.

Police recovered from the suspects' possession a caliber .45 and .9mm pistols.

Panodera’s relatives said robbery might not be the primary motive in the killing since the victim had received a death threat after arriving from Canada last month.

But Taguig police chief Sr. Supt. Tomas Apolinario said they were not dismissing the robbery angle yet because some of the victim’s belongings were found missing.

This is another gruesome crime in Taguig for this week. Last Tuesday night, three people were shot dead while one was seriously wounded in a house in Upper Bicutan.

Police identified the fatalities as Godofredo Rapales Jr., Norberto Rapales, and Flordeliza Rapales and the wounded, who remained in critical condition at the Philippine General Hospital, as Miraflor Rapales, 20.

Police identified the suspect as a certain "Mark", who was a live-in partner of one of the victims.

On Wednesday afternoon, four people were killed, including two bomb experts from the police Special Action Force-Explosives Ordnance Division while eight others were injured when an explosive they were trying to defuse went off at Lower Bicutan in Taguig City. (PNA)



Comments are closed.