Baraan denies he named NBI execs recommended charged

January 19, 2012 11:06 am 

MANILA, Jan. 18 – Department of Justice (DOJ) Undersecretary Francisco "Toti" Baraan III on Wednesday vehemently denied that he was the source of the report that he had named the officials of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) who were recommended to be charged criminally and administratively in connection with an extortion incident in exchange for the release of a Japanese national.

The NBI, which is the Philippines' premier investigating body, is an attached agency of the DOJ.

Baraan chaired the fact-finding panel that conducted an investigation into the complaint filed by the foster parent of Noriyo Ohara.

Baraan said that they have submitted last week to the Office of the President (OP) their findings or investigation report.

He said that it is now up to President Benigno Simeon "Noynoy" Aquino III whether or not to consider their recommendation.

However, Baraan admitted that their recommendation has "serious implications in the leadership of the NBI".

"Serious recommendation. I did not mention … who will be charged criminally," Baraan said.

He said that the DOJ is ready to accept and follow the final decision of President Aquino on their recommendation.

It can be recalled that some NBI officials were allegedly involved in a P6-million extortion in exchange for the release of a Japanese national identified as Noriyo Ohara. (PNA) DCT/rsv/PTR

Comments

Comments are closed.