Roque dares ex-DA chief to bare all on P728-M fertilizer fund scam

July 7, 2010 12:21 pm 

MANILA, July 7 — University of the Philippines (UP) College of Law Professor Atty. Harry Roque, Jr. on Wednesday challenged former Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary Lorenzo "Cito" Lorenzo to disclose all that he knew about the P728-million fertilizer fund scam.

The fertilizer fund scam had been the subject of a Senate inquiry into how former DA Undersecretary Jocelyn "Jocjoc" Bolante had dispersed P728 million in fertilizer fund.

"With the return of DA Sec. Cito Lorenzo, he should clarify his participation in the fertilizer scam," Roque said in a radio interview.

Lorenzo was reportedly spotted during a recent gathering of supporters of President Benigno Simeon "Noynoy" Aquino III and Vice President Jejomar "Jojo" Binay.

Lorenzo was the DA Secretary during which time Bolante dispersed the P728 million in fertilizer fund nationwide.

"He (Lorenzo) should tell about the real involvement of Gloria Arroyo in the case," Roque said.

Former President and now Pampanga Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo appointed Bolante to the DA, who was allegedly close to then First Gentleman Lawyer Jose Miguel "Mike" Arroyo.

"If he (Lorenzo) is really serious in supporting P-Noy, he should voluntarily give his testimony before the Ombudsman," Roque said.

Bolante had been charged before the Office of the Ombudsman (Ombudsman) in connection with the alleged P728-million fertilizer fund scam.

"If he (Lorenzo) did not commit anything wrong, why did he make himself scarce to the public," Roque said. (PNA)

V3/PTR

Comments

Comments are closed.