(Metro News) Jail warden relieved for lapses in Ampatuan presscon

April 22, 2010 7:23 pm 

MANILA, April 22 – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Thursday afternoon ordered the temporary relief of a jail warden for allowing Maguindanao massacre prime suspect Andal Ampatuan Jr. to hold a press conference inside Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City last Tuesday.

DILG Secretary Ronaldo Puno ordered the temporary replacement of Senior Insp. Lloyd Gonzaga, warden of the Quezon City Jail Annex (QCJA) in Camp Bagong Diwa.

Puno said Jail Superintendent Clement Laboy will take over Gonzaga's post for the meantime.

DILG Undersecretary Marius Corpus said initial investigation showed Gonzaga violated guidelines and was not in control during the press conference.

He noted that Gonzaga even failed to appoint a moderator that would screen questions during the media interview held at the ground floor of the Metro Manila District Jail (MMDJ) at Camp Bagong Diwa.

Corpus said Secretary Puno has ordered all requests for interviews of inmates to pass through his office instead of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP).

Gonzaga earlier said he received instructions from Chief Superintendent Serafin Barreto Jr., BJMP Metro Manila regional director, to allow the press conference as long as "requirements" had been met by Ampatuan Jr. and his lawyers.

Ampatuan Jr. is one of the prime suspects in the gruesome killing of 57 people, including about 30 journalists, in Maguindanao last Nov. 23. (PNA)

scs/JCA

Comments

Comments are closed.