Validation of areas affected by drought in Iloilo, Capiz continues

March 5, 2010 11:14 pm 

ILOILO CITY, March 5 – The validation of areas affected by the El Nino phenomenon here in Western Visayas continues with priorities given to provinces that suffered badly from the drought.

Agriculture regional executive director Larry Nacionales said that the validation would also allow them to be able to release the needed assistance to farmers who have been affected.

Nacionales said that so far they have already released P1 million for the cloud seeding operation in Negros Occidental while bags of seeds have been ready for distribution once the validation is completed.

Meanwhile, regional technical director for operations Remelyn R. Recoter announced that their office has deployed two teams to the 4th and 5th district of the province of Iloilo and at the 2nd district of Capiz next week for the validation.

They will be accompanied by the Bureau of Agriculture Statistics (BAS), National Irrigation Administration (NIA) and staff from the local government unit (LGU).

The damage progress report submitted to the DA, on the other hand, showed that the phenomenon has affected 43,187 rice farmers.

Already 49,197 hectares of rice were reported to be affected with 14,076 being totally damaged.

“About 12.78 percent or 87,125 metric tons of the projected dry season production is estimated to be lost valued at P786 million based on cost of inputs and farm gate price,” the DA report stated.

On the other hand, a minimal 4,857 hectares of corn areas were also hit with 884 hectares as totally damaged affecting some 4,727 farmers.

The estimated production lost was 6,657 metric tons or about 9.38 percent of the expected production valued at P68 million.

The report, according to Recoter, will still undergo validation.

Meanwhile, there have been reports on affected livestock but Nacionales stressed that they are still being validated. (PNA) LAP/PGLena/vlo

Comments

Comments are closed.