Election gun ban nets 36 firearms in Cotabato

March 5, 2010 11:14 pm 

COTABATO CITY, March 5 – The total number of firearms seized by the local police here has risen to 36 with the number expected to increase as implementation of election gun ban intensified, police here said.

Senior Superintendent Willie Dangane, city police director, said as of March 5, 30 persons have been charged for illegal possession of firearms.

Among them were soldiers, policemen from outside Cotabato City, security guards and civilians. Some of those arrested carry more than one firearm.

He said aside from charges of violation of election gun ban those arrested were also administratively charged.

Cotabato City has been under state of emergency following last year's massacre in Maguindanao which left 57 people, including journalists and civilians, dead.

Dangane admitted that crimes such as shooting incidents still occur despite the state of emergency and election gun ban due to family feud or political rivalry.

He explained that the city is the "convergence zone" of Maguindanao politicians and Muslim clans who are locked in family feud.

"Once they meet here, they started shooting, other gun related violence were mostly personal grudge," he said.

The city police vows to intensify setting up of mobile checkpoints and conduct surprise inspection to commuters to prevent the escalation of loose firearms. (PNA)

LAP/NYP/EOF

Comments

Comments are closed.