DOE orders power distribution utilities to fast track power restoration

October 5, 2009 10:23 am 

MANILA, Oct. 5 —- Energy Secretary Angelo Reyes on Monday directed power distribution utilities to fast track the restoration power supply in their respective franchise areas that had been hit hard by Typhoons "Ondoy" and "Pepeng."

In a meeting with Manila Electric Company (Meralco) and other distribution firms, Reyes issued instructions to report the extent of power outages in their areas, and the remedial measures they intend to implement

Meralco appraised the DOE and assured that it is doing everything it can to fully restore its power distribution service in isolated and still flooded portions of Taguig, Pasig, Cainta, Taytay, Marikina and Montalban.

According to Meralco a total of 683 power circuits in their coverage area that had been hit by Typhoon Ondoy have been fully restored.

Meralco’s franchise area covers the entire Metro Manila and parts of Region IV-A (Laguna, Batangas, Cavite, Quezon) and Region III (Bulacan).

Reyes asked power generation and distribution firms to regularly update the DOE on the measures they are undertaking to fully restore electrical service in affected areas.

“This is also a precautionary and safety measure that we are undertaking before we restore electricity back to our customers’ homes. Many of the meters in the areas heavily hit by Ondoy were submerged in floodwaters,” Meralco told the DOE.

Last Saturday, Meralco External Communication Manager Joe Zaldarriaga detailed that there were only eight reported circuit trippings since the company raised precautionary and contingency measures in anticipation of Pepeng's onslaught last Friday.

He added that most of these outages were isolated trippings and power in the said areas was immediately restored.

Meanwhile, the DOE said the succeeding typhoon Pepeng has severely affected Region II specifically Cagayan and Isabela areas on October 3.

With the strong winds brought about by the typhoon, the DOE said the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines was forced to shut down its 230 kilovolt (KV) substations serving Cagayan Electric Cooperatives I and II for safety reasons. It meant that the whole coverage area of the two cooperatives had no power.

Likewise, the Isabela Electric Cooperative II and the Cabagan substation and NGCP 2239 KV substation in Ilagan has to be shut down, affecting the municipalities of San Pablo, Sta. Maria, Tamauini, Sto. Tomas, Delfin Albano, Ilagan and Cabagan.

Based on the Oct. 4 reports of concerned electric cooperatives to the National Electrification Administration (NEA), the extent of the damage in the Cagayan area is still being assessed.

In Isabela, power in urban areas had been normalized and NGCP’s Ilagan substation has been re-energized. (PNA) /V3/MSN/

Comments

Comments are closed.