Palace condoles with families of victims of Indonesian hotel blasts

July 18, 2009 2:22 pm 

MANILA, July 18 – Malacanang on Saturday expressed its deepest sympathy to the families of the victims of the twin bombings in Jakarta, Indonesia in behalf of the Filipino people.

Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Lorelei Fajardo said the government strongly denounced the most recent act of terrorism victimizing innocent civilians.

Nine persons were killed and 50 others were injured in the bomb explosions at the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels located side-by-side in an upscale district in Jakarta, Indonesia last Friday.

“Mariin nating kinukondena ito. Buti na lang at walang Pilipino na nakasama sa mga namatay (We strongly condemn this. Well, its nice there were no Filipinos reported among the casualties),” she said.

With the recent terroristic attacks, Fajardo underscored the need to intensify the security measures in order to prevent the similar incident to happen in the country.

“The incident is a good warning not only to the government but to private sector as well like hotel and mall owners to be more vigilant and be ready on their own,” she said.

She also called on the public to cooperate and help the authorities in the campaign against terrorism. The recent blasts had been blamed on the Indonesia-based terror network Jemaah Islamiyah, which was also suspected to have a hand in the spate of bombings across Southeast Asia.

The Jemaah Islamiyah is believed to have links with Abu Sayyaf Group and the renegade members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. (PNA)

RMA/ZST

Comments

Comments are closed.