Duterte to seek SC’s help if disqualified by Comelec –-Cayetano

January 5, 2016 6:15 am 

By Jelly F. Musico

MANILA, Jan. 4 (PNA) – Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte will seek relief from the Supreme Court (SC) if his Certificate of Candidacy (CoC) for president in the 2016 polls will be cancelled by the Commission on Elections (Comelec), according to his running mate, Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, on Monday.

”We’re confident that the Comelec will uphold his candidacy, his CoC, and if not, the SC is there,” Cayetano said in a press conference at the Bonifacio Global City in Taguig.

Last month, several disqualification cases have been filed against Duterte at the Comelec, including a petition of broadcaster Ruben Castor who asked the commission to declare as null and void the CoC of anti-crime advocate Martin Dino.

Duterte was the substitute for Dino who was initially declared as standard-bearer of PDP-Laban but erroneously declared in his CoC that he is running for the position of mayor of Pasay City.

The petitioners based their petition to disqualify Duterte on Dino’s declaration that he is running for mayor.

Cayetano admitted that the disqualification cases affect Duterte’s candidacy “in terms on local,”

”Many from the local really like Duterte but some of them have been asking when the DQ will be settled because they don’t want to support a candidate who doesn’t have a good chance of winning,” Cayetano said.

Cayetano, however, believes that the disqualification cases against Duterte are not substantial, unlike with the case of Senator Grace Poe who was disqualified by the Comelec but got a temporary restraining order (TRO) from the SC.

”We’re confident. First of all, Poe’s disqualification cases are very difficult because it’s about citizenship and constitutional requirements. About Mayor Duterte, it’s procedural,” he explained. (PNA)

SCS/JFM

Comments

Comments are closed.