Central Visayas targets 4.6-M tourist arrivals minus Negros Oriental

December 2, 2015 6:57 am 

By Azer N. Parrocha

MANILA, Dec. 1 (PNA) — A tourism official assured that even without Negros Oriental, Central Visayas will still be able to sustain its tourism numbers.

To recall, Pres. Benigno S. Aquino III last May signed an order creating a new Negros Island Region composed of two provinces that used to belong to Central and Western Visayas.

Department of Tourism (DOT) Region VII director Rowena Montecillo said that the region is targeting 4.6-million tourist arrivals by yearend. Last year, Central Visayas acquired 4.3 million visitors higher than its 4.2-million target.

“Next year, our plans for Central Visayas is to promote new destinations,” Montecillo told reporters in an interview. She, however stressed that the campaign ‘One Visayas’ will remain.

“We will not leave (Negros Oriental). They will still be part of the One Visayas we have right now,” she added, describing the creation of Negros Island Region an opportunity politically and economically.

Montecillo said that Visayas is looking into a separate budget for Negros Island Region. The region is also expected to have a separate tourism office by next year.

She also stressed that despite changes among regions, there will still be “no boundaries” when it comes to tourism.

“No matter what region, the objective of One Visayas is to link provinces of Visayas. We have to work together,” the tourism officer said. (PNA)

RMA/ANP

Comments

Comments are closed.