Campaigns start for Guinea's presidential polls

September 11, 2015 5:40 am 

CONAKRY, Sept. 10 — Guinea President Alpha Conde on Wednesday signed a decree announcing the start of a one month electoral campaign for the presidential elections, an official source said.

According to the decree, the campaigns will run from Sept. 10 to Oct. 10, 2015.

Eight candidates, including the incumbent president have been cleared to contest in the forthcoming elections. Among the other seven candidates, there are three former prime ministers.

The National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI) has capped the campaigns expenditure for each candidate at two million euros.

Elesewhere, CENI's Director for Planing Djenabou Toure announced on Wednesday that the electoral register contained over six million voters. She said CENI had carried out a thorough clean-up of the register to remove all anomalies entered by registration clerks.

She further added that 14,000 polling stations had been created and that 2,000 domestic poll observers will be trained and deployed to the ground on the voting day.

Madam Toure said the European Union, the Economic Community of West African States, the UN, African Union and the International Organization of the Francophonie are providing technical and financial support to ensure the elections are free and fair. (PNA/Xinhua)

LAP/CDN

Comments

Comments are closed.