DOH-CAR cites alarming increase in dengue cases

September 9, 2015 5:13 am 

BAGUIO CITY, Sept. 8 — Department of Health (DOH) Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) Regional Director Amelita Pangilinan is once again appealing to the public to practice the “Search and Destroy” campaign of the department against possible mosquito breeding sites.

Pangilinan made the appeal after records showed an alarming increase in dengue cases in the Cordillera Region.

He said on Tuesday, September 8, that in the first two quarters of 2015, a total of 2,383 Dengue cases have been recorded from January to August 8, which accounts for a 103 percent increase compared to the same period last year.

Based on available DOH Surveillance Report, increase in cases was noted in all the six provinces in the region and Baguio City.

The Province of Benguet recorded the highest with 544 cases; Baguio City with 332; Mountain Province with 314; Abra with 289; Kalinga with 276; Apayao with 252 and Abra with 85.

Two hundred ninety one (291) cases were recorded in hospitals in the region originating from the surrounding or neighboring towns of the Cordillera.

Three dengue–related deaths have been recorded: an 85-year-old male from San Jose, Luna, Apayao; a seven-year-old from Rosario, La Union and an 89-year-old male from Cervantes, Ilocos Sur.

Pangilinan said the Municipality of Pinukpuk, Kalinga had zero dengue cases attributed to the DOH campaign implemented by its local government unit (LGU) and the community beginning in February.

The fight against dengue will be successful if the “Search and Destroy” campaigns of the department, such as the operation “taob” and the 4 o’clock Habit will be practiced, Pangilinan said. (PNA)

LAP/JOJO B. LAMARIA/EBP

Comments

Comments are closed.