Dengue cases in Palawan slides over 76% in second quarter

July 3, 2015 10:44 am 

By Jesus M. Ustares

PUERTO PRINCESA CITY, July 3 (PNA) — Dengue cases in Palawan went down 76.39 percent during the second quarter of the year compared to the same period in 2014, according to the Provincial Health Office (PHO).

Dr. Eduardo Cruz of the PHO said Thursday that since January this year to end of June, only 148 dengue cases were recorded by the PHO as compared to the 627 during the same period last year.

Cruz noted that dengue cases in Palawan is on a downward trend every year, and this can be due to the immediate responses that municipal health offices are executing in their areas of responsibilities, and the use of residents of treated long-lasting bed nets.

Related to this, Cruz said that several municipalities – such as Linapacan, Araceli, Culion and El Nido in northern Palawan, have already been declared “dengue-free” for the past three years.

Despite the achievement in dengue cases, the health official still warned Palawan residents that now that the rainy season has started, they should ensure to tip out liquid from unused plant pots, plastic containers, and other receptacles; clean stagnating canals for water to flow freely for them to not become breeding grounds for dengue carrier mosquitoes; and use good mosquito insect repellents.

The PHO, he added, is ready all the time to respond to any report of dengue in all areas in the province. (PNA)

FFC/CARF/JMU/EDS

Comments

Comments are closed.