Dengue cases in 4 S. Cotabato towns drop

April 22, 2015 9:33 am 

GENERAL SANTOS CITY, April 21 — Health authorities in South Cotabato have noted a significant reduction in dengue cases during the first two months of the year in four municipalities in the area.

Cecile Lorenzo, disease surveillance head of the South Cotabato Integrated Provincial Health Office (IPHO), said Tuesday their monitoring showed that that dengue cases in Polomolok, Tampakan, Suralah and Tupi towns from January to February have dropped by about 22 percent when compared to the same period last year.

“This is a significant development as cases in these areas have steadily increased these past years,” she said.

Lorenzo said Polomolok town only recorded 17 dengue cases this year or down by 33 based on last year’s figures.

Cases in Tampakan town decreased to nine from 13 in 2014 while Surallah and Tupi towns posted 5.3 percent decreases in incidence.

Jose Barroquillo, IPHO dengue coordinator, attributed the drop in dengue cases to the continuing intensified campaign against the disease in the four municipalities.

He said the four local government units specifically maintained close coordination with their barangay councils in terms of the monitoring of the disease.

The official also credited the accomplishment to the “Tinlo (clean) Barangay” program launched last year by the Association of Barangay Councils (ABC) of South Cotabato.

The program, which mandates the conduct of regular clean-up activities at the community level, was institutionalized late last year by the provincial government through an ordinance.

Barroquillo said the IPHO’s dengue team also intensified this year their household-level dengue vector surveillance in various barangays in the province.

He said they prioritized the activity in barangays that had posted a clustering of dengue cases.

“Our strategies are so far working so we will be further expanding our activities for the remainder of the year,” he added.(PNA)

FFC/RCK/AVE/AC

Comments

Comments are closed.