CAAP sets sked of new aircraft restriction for Tacloban Airport

April 6, 2015 10:56 am 

TACLOBAN CITY, April 6 – Jets will not be allowed again to use Tacloban Airport for at least 16 days this month as the government will proceed with the implementation of massive repair of the runway.

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) has issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) informing airline companies of a new round of aircraft restriction for the Daniel Z. Romualdez (DZR) Airport from April 14 to 30, 2015, the dates agreed by government and airline firms.

CAAP Tacloban area manager Antonio B. Alfonso said the runway will be closed to Airbus since the Department of Transportation and Communication (DOTC) has to repave the 338-meters portion of the runway.

“Once the resurfacing work will start, only 1,440 meters of the runway will be used, just enough for propeller-driven aircrafts. The repair is badly needed for the safety of travellers,” Alfonso told reporters.

Still underway is the paving of 300 meters portion at the northernmost part of the runway, which is up for completion on April 13. The airport’s runway has been closed after sunset since third week of February.

It was scheduled for completion early of March, but timeline has been adjusted due to logistical hurdles and shortage of paving materials supply.

From Sept. 3 to Dec. 23, 2014, the airport was closed to Airbuses due to massive repairs on the runway. Only turbo-propeller aircraft were allowed. Repaving runway was delayed due to bad weather and shortage of asphalt overlay.

The DOTC temporarily stopped the massive repair due to influx of passenger for last year’s Christmas and Pope Francis’ visit to Leyte on Jan. 17.

For this new round of repair, CAAP hopes that it will be completed within the timetable.

However, the official said they will consider extending the limited operation beyond April 30 if the project will not be completed due to different factors. (PNA)

FPV/SQM

Comments

Comments are closed.