DPRK lifts Ebola quarantine

March 4, 2015 11:35 am 

PYONGYANG, March 3 — The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has removed quarantine measures against Ebola as from Tuesday, except for visitors from West Africa, the official KCNA news agency told Xinhua.

The DPRK State Emergency Anti-epidemic Committee has notified all diplomatic missions and international organizations in the country of the decision to lift the 21-day quarantine on visitors who are not from West Africa.

Visitors from Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and their neighboring countries including Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, Mali and Cote d'Ivoire are still required to be quarantined at designated places and receive medical observation for 21 days.

Travelers from other parts of the world are no longer subject to the quarantine. They can continue their work and activities and only need to receive a medical examination in the Pyongyang Friendship Hospital, which is specially built for foreigners.

Staff at the Pyongyang Sunan International Airport said they had been informed of the decision by the Health Ministry on Monday.

On Oct. 24, the DPRK temporarily banned the entry of foreign tourists due to fears of the Ebola virus, prompting travel agencies to cancel scheduled tours to the country.

On Oct. 29, the State Emergency Anti-epidemic Committee announced more strict measures against the possible spread of Ebola and required all foreign visitors to be quarantined for 21 days. Foreigners from Ebola-hit regions were requested to stay at certain hotels for 21 days and resident personnel at diplomatic missions and international institutions were quarantined at their residences.

Also out of fears of Ebola, foreigners are reportedly banned from participating in this year's Pyongyang Marathon, an annual event that takes place in April. (PNA/Xinhua)

FFC/EBP

Comments

Comments are closed.