Classes in Albay village back to normal after landslide — DepEd

January 25, 2015 12:28 pm 

LEGAZPI CITY, Jan. 24 — Despite the ordered evacuation of 92 families, composed of 344 individuals, from Sitio (Sub-village) Inang Magarang of Barangay Nagotgot in Manito town, classes have been back to normal operation, said Bebiano Sentillas, Albay schools division superintendent of the Department of Education.

On Jan. 18, at least 15 houses were buried in the landslide that occurred at around 9 a.m. in the remote farming area, triggered by heavy rains brought by tropical storm "Amang," resulting in the evacuation of these families.

Sentillas said 103 students from Inang Maharang Elementary School, which is now closed, are now using the four United Nations Children's Fund (Unicef) tents provided by the provincial government.

Sentillas said around five classrooms were utilized by evacuated families but classes were running normal for the students of Nagotgot Elementary School.

"In the morning, some rooms are vacated by the evacuees to give way to the students, and at night, they sleep inside the room," he said.

Classes were affected two days after the landslide but these have turned normal since Jan. 21.

"After the incident, we have talked about shifting the classes for the students to be accommodated but after we have utilized the tents, everything has been operating normally," Sentillas said.

The 72-square-meter Unicef tents were provided through the Albay Public Safety and Emergency Management Office (APSEMO).

Cedric Daep, APESOM head, said those were the leftover of their operation when Mayon Volcano showed restiveness in September last year. (PNA)

RMA/FGS/AMM/CBD/SSC

Comments

Comments are closed.