Reigning WBF Dela Torre to fight Mendoza Jan. 17 in GenSan

January 6, 2015 1:37 am 

DAVAO CITY, Jan. 5 -– Reigning World Boxing Federation (WBF) world super bantamweight king Harmonito "Lights Out" dela Torre will face fellow Filipino boxer JR Mendoza on Jan. 17 at the Oval Plaza covered court in General Santos City.

It will be the inaugural boxing promotion for 2015 by the Sanman Promotions, which also manages the undefeated Dela Torre (14 wins, 9 KOs, 0 loss, 0 draw).

"It will be a 10-round non-title fight only," said 22-year old boxing promoter Jim Claude Manangquil.

The 5-foot-8 Dela Torre previously stopped Indonesian Isaak Junior in the 4th round last Oct. 13 to win the vacant WBF world super bantam title at the Lagao Gym in Gensan.

The 20-year old Dela Torre, a native of Cagayan de Oro City, has only stopped training for the fight on Christmas Day.

"Ganun siya ka serious mag-training kaya siya naging world champion (He is that serious in training that is why he became the world champion)," said 22-year old boxing manager-promoter Manangquil.

Dela Torre is training at the Sanman Gym located at Nunez St., Purok Malakas, Gensan with Rene Gabawa as the chief trainer.

Meanwhile, 25-year old Mendoza has a record of 10 wins with 4 KOs and 17 loses and no draw.

He previously outclassed Adam Diu Abdulhamid last Nov. 27 at the SAFI compound in Tambler, Gensan during the birthday boxing promotion of Mananguil.

Mendoza, a native of Koronadal City, also knocked out Eric Barcelona in the 4th round last March 20 in Panabo City.

Pitted in the undercard are also the upcoming and promising fighters of Sanman, including Ronnie Tanallon (8 rds.-108 lbs.), Mike Angelo Plania (6 rds.-118 lbs.), Markquil Salvana (6 rds.-122 lbs.) and Reymart Gaballo (6 rds.-118 lbs.).

"The final card will be announced this week," Manangquil said. (PNA)

RMA/LCM/LOLITO T. DELOS REYES/LDP

Comments

Comments are closed.