Brillantes says its okay with him if the government will reduce Comelec's budget for 2015

July 31, 2014 9:57 am 

MANILA, July 30 — Officials of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) will not mind if they will not get their proposed budget of P36 billion for next year.

Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes said it will not be a problem if the budget will be reduced to as low as P15 billion as long as they will be assured that it will only be used in the preparations for the 2016 national and local polls.

“It’s okay if they will give us P15 billion as long as they don’t give us plebiscites, recall elections, people’s initiative, and others. If there will be none of those, then, we will be okay,” he stressed.

He added, “If they remove those, we will be okay with P18 billion, P17 billion or even P15 billion, because those are the expensive ones to hold.”

Brillantes noted they already submitted the Comelec budget proposal to Malacanang so that it can be included in the proposed national budget for 2015.

It can be recalled that the poll body has ordered the suspension of all recall elections for lack of funds.

Likewise, the Comelec decided to postpone the Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) polls last year to save money.

The 1987 Constitution states that aside from holding regular and special elections, the Comelec is mandated to administer plebiscites, initiatives, referenda, and recalls.

Although, the poll body decided to postpone recall and SK polls, they also need to decide if they will allow or not the holding of the plebiscite for the proposed Bangsamoro entity, among others. (PNA)



Comments are closed.