Ilocos Norte’s Cape Bojeador lighthouse closed for renovation

April 23, 2014 10:17 am 

BURGOS, Ilocos Norte, April 23 — “Sorry, we’re closed. Please come back again next time,” a caretaker of the Cape Bojeador Lighthouse, a UNESCO-world heritage site, tells tourists wanting to climb up and take photos in this popular tourist destination in the north.

Perched on top of the Vigia de Nagpartian hill, just a few meters from the national highway, the solar-powered Burgos lighthouse serves as a beacon to sea navigators since 1892. It is also the most visited lighthouse in the country apparently due to its accessibility and favorite shooting venue for movies and television series.

At present, the Spanish-built lighthouse, declared as a national cultural treasure by the National Museum on August 13, 2004, is being maintained by the Philippine Coastguard.

Town mayor Cresente Garcia appealed to the public to bear with the on-going repair and re-painting activity as tourists are only allowed at the gate of the edifice composed of a light tower, a living quarter and a service courtyard.

He said the on-going repair is needed to ensure that the more than century-old lighthouse is well-kept and properly maintained.

In 2003, the majestic lighthouse made-of locally-fabricated bricks and accented with cast metal grillwork underwent roofing improvement through the “Save Cape Bojeador lighthouse” project of then Burgos tourism council chairman and now Poblacion village captain Jogie Jimenez. The lighthouse was hard hit by typhoon Feria in 2001.

Through the campaign, some 2.2 million was raised out of contributions mostly from the Burgoseńos living abroad and from the provincial government of Ilocos Norte under the leadership of then governor and now Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. (PNA)

LAM/LGA/EBP

Comments

Comments are closed.