Sen. Santiago wants Manila truck ban investigated by Senate

February 26, 2014 6:42 am 

By Jelly F. Musico

MANILA, Feb. 25 (PNA) — Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago on Tuesday filed a Senate resolution directing the Senate committee on local government to conduct an inquiry, in aid of legislation, on the reported restiveness of some stakeholders in the trucking industry over the daytime truck ban in Metro Manila.

Santiago said Senate Resolution No. 532 also aims to ensure that no undue disruption of traffic in Metro Manila might be caused by resistance to the ban.

”Vehicular traffic congestion has been a perennial problem of citizens living in Metro Manila. It is therefore imperative for the Senate to devise ways to solve vehicular traffic congestion to improve the general welfare and the economy,” she said.

Last Feb. 4, the city council of Manila has issued ordinance, enforcing a truck ban from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day, except Sundays and holidays, of eight-wheelers trucks and vehicles with gross weight above 4,500 kilograms.

For the next six months, the trucks have a window of five hours from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. to travel in Manila.

The ban exempts trucks carrying perishables and petroleum products, as well as vehicles used for government projects.

Santiago said the truck ban imposed by the City of Manila is a valid exercise of police power.

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Francis Tolentino urged truckers to support the modified truck ban policy.

Tolentino said the modification is a "win-win" solution for both the government and the truckers.

The MMDA has implemented truck bans in Metro Manila since December last year. (PNA)

LGI/JFM

Comments

Comments are closed.