Napoles camp files motion for possible hospital arrest

February 19, 2014 11:23 am 

MANILA, Feb. 18 — The camp of suspected "pork barrel" scam mastermind, Janet Lim Napoles on Tuesday filed motion for medical examination and to place her under hospital arrest before Makati Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 150.

In a four-page motion, Napoles' legal counsel Atty. Fay Isaguirre Singson said her client is suffering from profuse bleeding, hypoglycemia, weight loss, chest pain and abdominal pain due to ovarian tumor.

”Accused humbly begs the kindness and human compassion of the honorable court to allow the examination to be done by a certified medical physician, preferably her current doctor and in a reputable hospital such as St. Luke's Hospital, to ensure the correct prognosis and prescription," the motion stated.

"Depending on the outcome of her examination and upon the advice of her doctor, should confinement be necessary, it is also most respectfully requested that accused be placed under hospital arrest also at St. Luke's Hospital, Global City, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City," it added.

During the hearing, Judge Elmo Alameda of Makati RTC Branch 150 ordered to subpoena Dr. Elsie Pascua, private doctor of Napoles, and the government physician in PNP-Special Action Force (SAF), to appear in the hearing set on Feb. 24 at 10 a.m. to resolve the pending motion.

Meanwhile, Napoles' other legal counsel Atty. Alfredo Villamor said they will be appealing their bail petition before the Court of Appeals as this has been twice denied by the Makati RTC.

Villamor said they are now in the process of crafting a petition for certiorari as they are elevating their appeal to before the Court of Appeals.

In his five-page decision on Tuesday, Alameda said the motion for reconsideration is denied for lack of merit also found the testimonies of the prosecution witnesses plausible, spontaneous, convincing, and consistent with the human nature and the ordinary course of things.

Earlier in the day, the prosecution presented four witnesses namely: National Bureau of Investigation senior agent Dante Berou, Merlina Suñas, Gertrudes Luy and Annabel Luy on the serious illegal detention case.

The four witnesses adopted their testimonies during the bail petition hearing.

The court manifest that the change of security detailed for Napoles is now under the PNP-Regional Provincial Police Unit 4-A from PNP SAF.

On the part of the accused, Villamor said they will present 17 witnesses.

The hearing for serious illegal detention case filed against Napoles was set on March 18 at 9:30 a.m.

Napoles is currently detained at Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna facing serious illegal detention charges. (PNA)

LGI/CLTC/EPL/SGS-OJT

Comments

Comments are closed.