Additional funds allocated as CAR plunges into chaos: UN

February 14, 2014 7:39 am 

UNITED NATIONS, Feb. 14 — UN undersecretary-general for humanitarian affairs, Valerie Amos, has allocated an additional 10 million U.S. dollars to support the most critical aid operations in the Central African Republic (CAR) as the country has plunged into chaos, a UN spokesman said Thursday.

"This is the second 10 million dollars allocation from the Fund to Central African Republic in a short period — the same amount was allocated on 9 December," Martin Nesirky said at a daily news briefing here.

"Ms. Amos says that the Central African Republic has plunged into chaos and deadly violence following months of political crisis and lawlessness — and that people across the country are living in fear," Nesirky said.

Amos said that needs in the country are tremendous, and that humanitarian partners are being forced to prioritize the delivery of assistance. She also said that security and stability must be urgently restored, and more must be done to address the root causes of conflict and prevent escalation of violence.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs ( OCHA) said that ongoing violence in CAR has displaced an estimated 714,000 people across the country. Nearly 300,000 of them are in the capital of Bangui, seeking refuge in 69 displacement sites.

In the northwest of the country, anti-Balaka and Seleka groups continue to commit atrocities against communities. Entire villages have been looted and burned, forcing communities to flee to the bush or towards neighboring countries such as Chad and Cameroon.

A total of 207 million dollars in humanitarian funding to the CAR was pledged by 24 donors at a meeting in Brussels on Jan. 20. As of this week, 28 percent of the pledges had been committed or disbursed, amounting to 57.5 million U.S. dollars.

Meanwhile, the Strategic Response Plan of 551 million dollars is just 13 percent funded, Nesirky said.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon spoke with French President Francois Hollande on the crisis in CAR earlier Thursday, Nesirky said, but he did not offer details of the phone conversation between the two leaders.

Plagued by decades of instability and fighting, the CAR witnessed a resurgence of violence in December 2012 when the Seleka rebels launched a series of attacks, culminating in March when then President Francois Bozize was forced to flee as they seized control of the capital.

Violence has worsened since Seleka leader Michel Djotodia resigned as president last month. In late January, the CAR installed a caretaker government in a bid to pull the turmoil-torn country out of crisis and organize general elections by February 2015.(PNA/Xinhua)

FPV/JSD

Comments

Comments are closed.