Government continues to engage stakeholders to ensure Mindanao peace

January 22, 2014 7:32 am 

MANILA, Jan. 21 — The government remains hopeful that groups opposing the peace agreement with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) will eventually support the Mindanao peace process, the Palace said on Tuesday.

It was reported that the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rejected proposals to unite with the MILF in crafting the Bangsamoro Framework Agreement with the government.

“Patuloy po ang pagpupunyagi at pagsisikap ng ating pamahalaan na matamo ang kabuuan ng pakikipagsunduang pangkapayapaan na makakatulong po sa pagpapaunlad ng buong Kamindanaoan,” Presidential Communications Operations Office Secretary Herminio “Sonny” Coloma Jr. said in a press briefing in Malacanang.

Coloma said the Aquino government wants to persuade all the stakeholders in the Mindanao peace process to join the initiative for the benefit of the region.

“Kaya patuloy rin po iyong ating pag-asa na makikita ng ating mga kapatid na hindi pa sumasang-ayon at hindi pa lumalahok ang kabutihan na matatamo natin kapag nagkaroon na ng kabuuang kasunduang pangkapayapaan hinggil sa Mindanao,” he added.

The government continues to talk with the MNLF, being one of the stakeholders in Mindanao, he said.

Coloma also noted that even before the Zamboanga standoff last year, there were ongoing discussions between the Philippine government and the MNLF in Indonesia. Both sides were discussing the remaining issues of the Tripoli agreement. (PNA)

SCS/PCOO/SSC

Comments

Comments are closed.