Mindanao prelate expresses sadness over the death of 7 people in Basilan bomb blast

January 3, 2014 3:23 am 

MANILA, Jan. 2 — A Mindanao prelate has expressed sadness over the death of seven people and wounding of five others after a bomb exploded in a village in Sumisip, Basilan on New Year’s eve.

“I am really, really very sad; I thought everything would be normal and free from lawlessness. Before, I was really very, very happy since there were no untoward incidents reported. Then all of a sudden, this thing happened, so I feel sad. I hope that the criminal activities could be stopped," Basilan Bishop Martin Jumoad said in an interview on Thursday.

He noted that he was near the San Vicente Ferrer Parish Church in Sumisip, Basilan when the incident occurred.

“Before this incident happened, we were having a Muslim- Christian party trying to encounter the New Year,” Jumoad said.

With this, the Catholic prelate said that he would pray for those behind the bombing to that they would be enlightened to stop terror and evil in society.

“I hope that they would realize that those who died were innocent civilians. Suppose it would happen to their family also…," he said.

“I pray for their conversion that they would realize that the evil they are doing would only multiply the evils in our society… that lawlessness has no place in our society,” he added.

Jumoad said the reason he was happy before the incident happened was because Basilan had been peaceful after the Sept. 9 Zamboanga City siege.

“I am praying that peace should reign here and no other atrocities would take place,” he stressed.

At the same time, he appealed to the authorities to speed up the investigation so that they would know the perpetrators behind the bombing. (PNA)

SCS/FGP/RSM

Comments

Comments are closed.