52 Filipinos still trapped in strife-torn South Sudan

January 3, 2014 3:23 am 

By Michaela del Callar

MANILA, Jan. 2 (PNA) — Some 52 Filipinos remain trapped in South Sudan as civil unrest in the troubled Central African state continues.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez said 48 are in Juba while four others are in a town called Paloch.

Since fighting broke out last month, 30 have been repatriated to the Philippines while 57 were evacuated to neighboring countries and Dubai.

The Philippines raised the crisis alert level for South Sudan from 2 to 3. Alert level 3 calls for voluntary repatriation.

A Philippine Rapid Response Team deployed to South Sudan to check on the condition of Filipinos met with a number of Filipino workers in Juba and their employers last Dec. 30.

In that meeting, Hernandez said the team designated three area coordinators for Juba to assist in the implementation of a Philippine contingency plan, which offers evacuation of Filipinos from South Sudan.

Fighting among political and military factions have spread across South Sudan — the world’s newest country which separated from Sudan in 2011 after decades of war.

A labor ban has been imposed by Manila while Filipinos were advised to defer travel to South Sudan regardless of purpose.

In the meantime, Hernandez said the government continues to monitor the security situation in South Sudan. (PNA)

JBP/MDC/RSM

Comments

Comments are closed.