DOH: Fewer firecracker-related injuries among children this year

January 2, 2014 7:10 am 

By Azer N. Parrocha

MANILA, Jan. 1 (PNA) — Although firecracker-related injuries were significantly higher this year compared to last year, the Department of Health (DOH) said that it has relatively fewer injuries among children.

There were 599 firecracker-related injuries, 589 were from actual firecracker injuries (mostly from piccolo), one firecracker ingestion and nine from stray bullets, data from DOH showed.

This year’s number of casualties was 43 percent higher compared to casualties in the same period last year, since it started recording casualties last Dec. 21. The DOH will continue its count until Jan. 5.

Assistant Health Secretary, Dr. Eric Tayag said via Twitter that this year, only 24 percent of those with firecracker injuries were children below age 10 compared to 31 percent in 2012.

There were also only 36 percent of firecracker injuries who were among bystanders compared to 44 percent in 2012.

Amputations from firecracker injuries were also down to only one percent this year compared to last year’s three percent.

Among the casualties which needed amputations were two minors –a 14-year-old boy from Cebu City who lost his right hand from “Super Yolanda” and five-year-old from Iloilo who lost his right index finger from a “Camara.”

Eye injuries, were also down to 14 percent from 19 percent in 2012.

In 2012, the DOH noted that firecracker-related injuries at the same period were at 419 with 409 of which from actual firecrackers, one firecracker ingestion and nine stray bullet casualties.

After the holidays, the DOH will work on a plan to spearhead for a total ban on firecrackers. (PNA)

LGI/ANP

Comments

Comments are closed.