Guingona nixes idea of holding Senate probe at Napoles’ detention

September 4, 2013 9:13 am 

MANILA, Sept. 3 – Senator Teofisto Guingona III on Tuesday said there is no need for the Senate to bring its inquiry into the alleged P10 billion pork barrel scam at the detention place of Janet Lim Napoles at the Fort Sto. Domingo in Laguna.

”I don’t think there is a need for the Senate to bring it (probe) there,” Guingona, chairman of the Senate blue ribbon committee, said.

Guingona said if the time has come for the Senate to call on Napoles to appear before the Senate blue ribbon panel, the Philippine National Police (PNP) can make arrangements for the security of the alleged mastermind of the highly-publicized scam.

”It’s up to the PNP to make security arrangements for Napoles,” Guingona said.

Guingona said the Senate may require Napoles to attend the Senate probe up to three times to give all the blue ribbon members enough time to question the alleged mastermind of the P10 billion scam involving priority development assistance fund (PDAF) of some lawmakers.

The lawmaker from Mindanao has yet to finalize the guests list of the second Senate hearing on PDAF on Thursday but “the Commission on Audit (COA) officials will be invited again.”

”COA chairman Grace Pulido Tan will be away for two weeks but she will be representative by her assistants along with then Agriculture Secretary Proseso Alcala and Budget undersecretary Mario Relampagos,” Guingona said.

Last week, Senator Francis Escudero moved to summon the alleged ‘bogus’ non-government organizations (NGOs) which Napoles used to get PDAF from some senators and congressmen.

In an special COA audit report, Tan named senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Ramon Revilla Jr. Jinggoy Estrada and Gregorio Honasan II as some of the senators who allegedly gave P1-billion PDAF to Napoles’ NGOs from 2007 to 2009. (PNA)

DSP/JFM

Comments

Comments are closed.