62 rebels surrender to 3rd ID this Q1

July 8, 2013 12:05 am 

MANILA, July 7 — The 3rd Infantry Division, based in Camp Gen. Macario Peralta Jr, Jamindan, Capiz, announced that 62 members of the New People's Army have surrendered to its units for the first three months of 2013.

Brig. Gen. Jonas Sumagaysay, 3rd Infantry Division acting commander, said these ex-rebels are now living normally in the mainstream society.

This number includes 26 rebels who are members of Komiteng Rehiyonal-Panay (KR-P), 33 from Komiteng Rehiyonal-Negros (KR-N) and 3 from Komiteng Rehiyonal Sentral-Bisayas (KR-SB).

The number does not count NPA members who have been monitored to have left the movement for the period.

Sumagaysay said this year's first semester surrenderers are up by 18 or 40 percent compared to 1st semester last year where 44 NPA rebels have laid down their arms and returned to mainstream society and chose to live peacefully.

“We expect more rebels to surrender in the coming days because we know that they are already tired of the futile armed struggle and wanted to go down and abandon the armed violence,” he added.

He also stressed that the continued "Bayanihan" project of the military in Western Visayas is a successful effort of the people who have longed for lasting peace in this part of the country.

“Your Army in Western Visayas remains committed in performing its mandated task of protecting the people. Together with other government security forces, we will intensify our combat operations in the region. We will likewise continue our efforts working hand in hand with the local government units, the local government agencies, the civil society organizations and the local populace to end the threats of violence of insurgency and bring peace, stability and development in this part of the country,” he added. (PNA)

HBC/PFN

Comments

Comments are closed.