Enrile woos Davaoeños with 'Food for All' pitch

April 25, 2013 10:53 am 

DAVAO CITY, April 24 — Cagayan Valley Representative and United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) senatorial candidate Juan “Jack” Ponce Enrile Jr. exhorted voters in this city to support her platform of food security anchored on what he calls his “Murang Pagkain, Maraming Pagkain” program.

“We must strive to provide food for all. No Filipino should go hungry in his own country,” said Enrile, who was here to campaign by meeting barangay leaders and Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte and Pastor Apollo Quiboloy of the Jesus Christ Is Lord.

He said he was deeply disturbed by what happened in Davao City last February when hungry typhoon Pablo victims ransacked the local warehouse of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and carted away sacks of rice and other foodstuff.

“This should not happen again, whether during an emergency or in normal times. That can only mean that government has failed in its responsibility to feed its own people,” he said.

Enrile said that as congressman, he had already gone to almost all provinces to conduct a personal survey what food can be produced in every place so that the national government can come up with a rational and systematic plan to provide adequate, affordable and nutritious food for all Filipinos.

“Hunger amid plenty is unacceptable. That sad reality is that one in three Filipinos suffers from hunger and malnutrition, according to survey after survey,” he said.

Enrile is the author of House Bill No. 4626 seeking to establish a system of determining the minimum food requirements of Filipinos, reorganizing the National Food Authority, and creating the National Strategic Food Supply and Reserve Corporation.

He is courting the voters in this city with a three-point platform consisting of food security, consumer protection and job creation. (PNA)

PDS/ASA/LDP 

Comments

Comments are closed.