Alleged assassination plot vs Kiram 'a very low probability' — Palace Lilybeth G, Ison
March 20, 2013 10:41 pm
MANILA, March 20 — Malacanang on Wednesday downplayed the alleged assassination plot against Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III and his adviser, Pastor "Boy" Saycon.
Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda, in a press briefing, read a statement from National Security Adviser Cesar Garcia on the alleged assassination plot, saying that "verification made by the intelligence community has yielded negative results so far" on the alleged assassination plot.
Garcia also said that a check conducted on the alleged presence of certain named individuals in certain hotels "also came up with negative results."
"Verification is still going on but off hand, the intel community is giving this report a very low probability," he said.
Kiram's spokesman Abraham Idjirani earlier claimed an eight-man hit squad led by a Malaysian is plotting to kill Kiram and Saycon.
He identified a certain Sammy Ng as the leader of the alleged hit squad.
Saycon, in an earlier media interview, has said the alleged assassination plot was relayed to him by a lawyer-friend.
Meanwhile, Lacierda branded as mere "tall tales" the alleged assassination plot just like the showing of a picture of slain Thai soldiers taken in 2007, but which Kiram's daughter Jacel earlier claimed was a picture of slain Malaysian soldiers supposedly killed during the clash with the Sulu Sultan's armed followers in Lahad Datu.
"Ang daming kuwento na lumalabas sa kampo nila (Kiram). Kung sa Amerika ang tawag doon 'tall tales'. So ang daming tall tales na kinukuwento nila," he said. "This is getting really ridiculous. Everyday theyre coming out with tall tales. People should stop listening to tall tales," he said. (PNA)