Gov't forces shot dead Maguindanao massacre suspect, arrest another

February 9, 2013 9:43 am 

CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao, Feb. 9 — The long arm of the law has finally catched up with two of the more than 100 people linked to the 2009 Maguindanao massacre.

On Friday, a suspect who once served as member of the Maguindanao Civilian Volunteer Organization, an armed group organized by former Maguindanao Gov. Andal Ampatuan Sr., was shot dead by lawmen after he resisted arrest.

Armed with arrest warrants, operatives of the PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) and the Army’s 1st Mechanized Infantry Battalion, politely informed Maguid Amil, 42, that he was being arrested for his alleged involvement in the massacre.

Senior Supt. Melecio Mina, CIDG chief in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM), said however that Amil, of Barangay Iginagampong, Datu Unsay, Maguindanao, resisted and tossed a hand grenade at lawmen who surrounded his home at about 2 p.m.

When the grenade did not explode, Amil opened fire at lawmen using his .45-caliber pistol.Mina said this forced lawmen to fire back, hitting the suspect in the legs and body.

Relatives rushed him to the Maguindanao provincial hospital where he was declared dead on arrival.

At about 4:00 p.m. Friday, another suspect included in the warrant issued by Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221 Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes was arrested in Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao, according to Army Colonel Dickson Hermoso.

Hermoso, speaking for the military’s 6th Infantry Division, said CIDG operatives and soldiers arrested Nasser Guia, 45, at the town’s public market. He did not resist arrest but denied involvement in the 2009 carnage.

Guia, who carries a P250,000 reward for his arrest, was also a member of the Maguindanao CVO, a para-military unit under the supervision of then Maguindanao Gov. Ampatuan Sr.

Hermoso said the arrest was carried out after three weeks of covert operations by joint police and military forces in Maguindanao.

Ampatuan Sr. and six of his children and relatives are now detained at a government detention facility in Manila facing multiple murder charges.

The slain and the arrested suspects were the 100th and 101st men linked to the carnage that are now into government hands. (PNA)



Comments are closed.