Comelec willing to wait for SC to issue ruling on party-list given SQAOs

January 14, 2013 10:10 pm 

MANILA, Jan. 14 — The Commission on Elections said it will wait for the decision of the Supreme Court on the cases of party-list groups given status quo ante orders (SQAOs) before it starts configuration of the Precinct Count Optical Scan machines.

Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes, Jr. said the government's election watchdog would wait for the Supreme Court to resolve the cases to determine the groups to be included in the official ballots.

“We really need to determine which party-list groups are they… We will wait for it (SC decision) in our configuration as much as we can,” he said.

The High Tribunal has to resolve the cases of the disqualified 52 party-list groups, including 39 previously registered party-list groups and 13 new applicants.

On the other hand, Brillantes said they have started preparation for the configuration such as the ballot design, and the chronological list of senatorial candidates.

“After finishing the configuration, we will already begin the printing of ballots… All of these have to be settled by early February. As for the party-lists, we will wait a little further,” he added.

The configuration will be conducted at the warehouse in Cabuyao, Laguna. (PNA)

HBC/FGP/ABB

Comments

Comments are closed.