More cops deployed in Sultan Kudarat following bus bombing

December 31, 2012 4:36 am 

CAMP SIONGCO, Maguindanao, Dec. 30 — More police checkpoints were put up in Sultan Kudarat province as police and Army authorities here blamed the extortion gangs preying on bus firms in the bomb attack on Husky bus Saturday night in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat province.

Six persons were hurt when an improvised bomb planted at the baggge compartment of the Husky Bus unit went off at 6 p.m. near the town welcome rotunda. Another bus tailing the Husky unit was also damaged by the explosion.

Colonel Prudencio Asto, regional Army spokesperson, said the IED was fashioned from ammonium nitrate with cut nails as its shrapnels.

Asto said the bus firm had been receiving extortion demand from armed groups.

Senior Supt. Rolen Balquin, Sultan Kudarat police chief, said the bus firm had been warned by extortion groups that bombing will take place if their demand is ignored.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Wounded and treated at Sultan Kudarat provincial hospital were Hapinat Hilmor Bornales, 36, Delfin Jonathan Salmoren, 23, Dolfo Kevin Venus, 19, Catequista Rachel Mayornejo, 27, Yellow bus driver Salutan Robenson Matias and his conductor Sangki Emil Fantilaga.

More police checkpoints have been established in pubic terminals in Sultan Kudarat province as commuters rush home for the New Year celebration.

Army armored personnel carrier were deployed near bus and jeepney terminals in Isulan and Tacurong City, all in Sultan Kudarat to thwart any bombing attempt.

Balquin also advised bus firms to pick up passengers ony on bus terminals where soldiers and policemen are strictly checking passengers’ baggage.(PNA)

FPV/NYP/EOF/PJN

Comments

Comments are closed.