Firecracker victims in Central Luzon reach 46

December 29, 2012 8:59 am 

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO, Pampanga, Dec. 29 — Injuries caused by firecrackers and fireworks have now reached 46 in Central Luzon with three days to go before the New Year's Eve celebration.

Data from the Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (RESU) as of December 27 showed that most of the victims came from Pampanga with 23 cases, followed by Bulacan with nine and Tarlac with eight.

Other individuals who were injured by firecrackers came from the provinces of Bataan, Nueva Ecija, and Zambales in the region.

Dr. Jessie Fantone, DOH regional epidemiologist, however, said that the victims only suffered slight blast injuries .

So far, there were no reported casualties, victims of stray bullet or watusi ingestion.

Piccolo, which has been banned by the government due to its harmful toxic content, remain to be the major cause of firecracker injuries especially to children, Fantone said.

Although firecracker-related incidents this year are lower compared to the same period last year, health authorities are strongly advocating for the strict adherence of the public to the DoH “Iwas Paputok” program in order to minimize the injuries caused by firecrackers.

However, it is expected that the number of firecracker-related injuries will increase in the remaining days of welcoming 2013, thus all public and private hospitals in the region are on alert to cater to those who will be injured by explosions, he said.

Instead of using firecrackers, Fantone is advocating safer noisy materials like horns, pots and pans.

He also warned patients injured by fireworks and firecrackers that they are high risk for tetanus.

Immediate medical attention is imperative, he said. (PNA)

LAM/ZST/PS/PJN

Comments

Comments are closed.