Flashfloods send 6,052 families in Lanao Del Norte to evacuate to higher grounds

December 5, 2012 11:15 pm 

MANILA, Dec. 5 – The Philippine Army's 1st Infantry Division on Wednesday said that 6,052 families in the 11 municipalities of Lanao Del Norte have evacuated to higher grounds due to sudden rise of floodwaters, triggered by typhoon "Pablo."

Capt. Alberto Caber, the unit's spokesperson, said that the heavy rains and strong winds created flood waters two-feet deep and prompted residents to evacuate to higher grounds.

But improving weather conditions Wednesday caused many of the evacuees to return to their homes.

According to the Provincial Disaster Risk and Reduction Management Council (DRMMC) of Lanao Del Norte, more or less 200 families were still at their respective evacuation areas as of this afternoon but were planning to return to their homes later.

Disaster rescue and relief operations teams, under the 2nd Mechanized Infantry Brigade, joined with the teams from the provincial DRRMC as well as to the teams at the municipal level in the preparation, evacuation, rescue & relief operations to the affected families in the province.

So far, DRRMC reported no casualties due to "Pablo.".

Lanao Del Norte and Lanao Del Sur Electric Cooperatives temporarily cut-off their electricity supply Tuesday afternoon until Wednesday morning to avoid any untoward incident.

Roads in Barangay Matampay, Marawi City is not passable to four-wheeled vehicle as of Wednesday dawn due to landslide along the way. A clearing operation was immediately undertaken while roads in some areas of second district of the same province experienced road congestion due to flash floods, slight landslide and uprooted trees which caused delayed travel of motorists.

All bridges in the province remained passable. (PNA)

RMA/PFN

Comments

Comments are closed.